Sunday, May 1, 2011

Special Metaphor Assignment (Blog Post #14)

I've been asked to answer these questions about a previous blog post for blog post #14. Here are the questions and my answers.

1. Why did you miss the metaphor in Tom Johnson's post, or, if you "hit the nail on the head", why do you think you understood the metaphor and why do you think that others in the class missed the metaphor?

I actually got the metaphor used, I didn't include my understanding of it in my blog post, but it is in the blog post left to him. Here is my post.

Kevin White said...

Hello Mr. Spencer,
My name is Kevin White, and I'm an education major at the University of South Alabama. I am in Dr. Strange's EDM310 class. I truly enjoyed your post. When you substitute "computers" for "pencils" it really makes the argument to not use them at home look silly. It is true that students may not use them for the intended purposes 100% of the time, but the leap of faith must be taken; students need to be trusted to be responsible.
Thanks for the post,
Kevin White
11:17:00 AM

I am pretty good with metaphors, and I often make my own. I think some people may have actually figured out the metaphor, but just left a comment on HIS blog and not their own; I assume this because this is what I did.

2. What metaphors have you encountered since I asked you to create a log of them?

I watched a movie about the Iraq War where one of the soldiers remarked someone's I.E.D. wound looked like pizza after the cheese slid off. My dad also told me at work that "time is money". Also, at work I heard the songs "Love is a Battlefield" and "Eye of the Tiger".

3. What other things can we do as educators to help our students to understand and to use metaphors?

I think, as educators, we should use metaphors more often. Every hard subject matter should have a metaphor to go with it to help with understanding of the information.

4. Why do we use metaphors?

We use metaphors in communication to make explaining the unknown to someone easier. A metaphor is used to related two different things together so that the less vague of the two items is able to be understood by relation. Metaphors are used to save time and to make communication more vivid.

cartoon metaphor about a knife in the back

No comments:

Post a Comment