Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Blog Assignment #7

Randy Pausch's Last Lecture

Randy Pausch's last lecture is the most inspiring video I have watched not only in EDM310 but in my life. To me, that is a pretty profound statement as to the importance of his video. After I watched the video, I saw a related video from CBS news that said that he died a year later; his death hurt me, even though I only know of him from 1.25 hours of his life.

Randy Pausch is a pioneer. He grouped students from different backgrounds together to see what kind of projects they could create. He had students working in teams of 4 for 2 weeks creating projects; afterward, he would mix the groups up and start again. His students learned by doing and by collaborating.

While watching this video, I had trouble focusing on the teaching aspects of the video; instead, the valuable life lessons seemed much more relevant to me. I think that everyone should watch this video because its lessons transcend education.

A lot of the things that Randy Pausch said I wrote down. Not everything, of course, just the thoughts I found relevant to my life. I have an entire sheet of paper with scribbling on it from when I watched the video. I will share them now.

1.) You can't change the cards, only the way you play the hand.

2.) There are two ways to say, "I don't know":a good way and a bad way.

3.) You obviously don't know where the bar should be and your only going to do them a disservice by putting it anywhere.

4.) It's very important to know when you're in a pissing match, and its very important to get out as soon as possible.

5.) Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

6.) When you do something wrong and no one corrects you anymore, it means they have given up on you.

7.) Respect authority while questioning it

The most important thing I learned from his last lecture I won't label as a number, but I will put some asterisks. This will stick with me the longest I believe.

***** Brick walls are there for a reason; they let us prove how badly we want things.

a picture of Randy Pausch

No comments:

Post a Comment