Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Blog Assignment #10

#1: An Open Letter to Educators

Morgan talks about her negative experiences with college; these negative aspects include a tight funnel of information coming from the professor, lack of cooperative activities, and monotonous memorization. These educational problems are compounded by expensive books to buy, sleep deprivation, and boredom.

I empathize with Morgan and with Dan, the man in the video. I don't like to memorize facts for tests. Simply put, I just can't remember very much at all after the test. For example, last semester, I had an Asian History class that I made a B in; 6 months later, and I'd be hard pressed to tell you what I learned.

I also agree with Dan's assessment that the price of information has decreased over the centuries throughout human civilization. The knowledge is there if you want it, you just have to find it. Being able to quickly find relevant information and teach people to do the same will be the new teaching in the future; children will no longer be at the mercy of only their textbooks and teachers.

#2: Don't Let Them Take the Pencils Home

I found this post to be great satire. The message is dead on as well. I also subscribed to his blog by rss feed.

2 comments:

  1. I also thought Dan did a great job describing how information has devauled throughout the centuries. I completely agree with your statement about being hard pressed to tell what I learned 6 months ago in a class where I only memorized, which is most of my college career! Good luck to you in EDM.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "6 months later, and I'd be hard pressed to tell you what I learned." Once you burp it back, little remains.

    You noted the satire in Tom Johnson's post, but It seems that you did not understand that Don't Let Them Take the Pencils Home was a metaphor in which pencils were computers. I will complete my post Metaphors: What They Are and Why We Use Them (A Learning Opportunity) later this week. After this post appears on the Class Blog you will be required to leave a comment. Watch the Class Blog for further instructions.

    ReplyDelete